Subject: rsync for pkgsrc? (was Re: updating packages)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/14/2001 08:33:16
On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Ian Cooper wrote:

> I generally download the pkgsrc tree tarballs, because cvs update on
> pkgsrc takes forever on a P2-233. :)

I read a current-users thread from January 2000 that talked about using
rsync for pkgsrc.

It mentioned rsync.jp.netbsd.org and maybe ftp.za.netbsd.org. These don't
appear to work (but also I don't know how to use it). Plus I see other
rsync mirrors via the rsync mirrors webpage.

I see there is a rsync.netbsd.org rsync server. I am not sure if it
has pkgsrc.

Does anyone know of any rsync servers for pkgsrc?

And can anyone explain how to use it? (I have used rsync a lot -- I
just don't know if I need to have some ssh keys and what directories; and
I don't know about rsync daemon or rsync "modules". Please show me the
rsync command with full source path for pkgsrc.)

Also, it mentioned an idea of having a rsync server that had a prebuilt
checksums. Does anyone know if an rsync like that exists? (From looking at
the FAQ, rsync wishlist, manual pages and some tutorials I don't seem to
see it.)

Can anyone share some times for using sup and rsync to update pkgsrc?

Usually, when I use cvs to update my pkgsrc, it can take well over an
hour.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/