Subject: updating packages
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/14/2001 06:48:56
Often, when I try to install or update a package, the installation
aborts because I need to update something else first.  Is there any
tool that, if given a package name, will look through the dependency
information and figure out everything that will need to be compiled?
(A lovely enhancement would be if it could generate all of the
appropriate 'make fetch' commands, so I could download everything and
rebuild while running disconnected.)

I ask this because I tried a simple 'make install' of etherape.  As
best I can tell, it's now recompiling Gnome, and I'm hoping that it
finishes before I have to head for the airport...

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com