Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5.2 CD install over multiple disks
To: Eric Ekong <>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/13/2001 11:57:53
Some clarification on this topic is in order, I think.

> > From: Eric Ekong <>
> > Subject: NetBSD 1.5.2 CD install over multiple disks
> >
> > Has anyone been able to successfully install NetBSD over a number of
> > disks?  Here is my situation and my proposed setup.

It is the case that this is not supported by sysinst.
If you think this is a sufficiently common case, you could
submit a change-request PR asking for that functionality.

> > 3 Drives
> >
> > Drive 1			Drive 2			Drive 3
> > -------			--------		-------
> > 3G	/		30G	/home		4G	swap
> > 4G	/usr
> > 3G	/var
> > 9g	/storage
> >
> > During the install, the instructions tell me that I have the three disks
> > in my machine, but it only allows me to install on the one drive.  I

I think you would be best off installing on drive 1 with no swap
partition and then adding in the swap later. Adding the /home partition
in should be trivial as well.

Wojciech Puchar <> wrote on Wed, 12 Dec
2001 at 22:46:14 +0100 in

> don't use sysinst.
> doing everything manually is much easier.

While this is one opinion, I don't think it's the opinion of most people.
There's no real documentation on this, and it's really not recommended.
It may be useful in some situations, but I don't think "much easier"
is at all justified.

> anyway is there howto available for that?
> if no i could write it

NetBSD doesn't have "howto"s. It is best that documentation be in-tree.
It is sometimes acceptable to have out-of-tree documenation.