Subject: Re: bad sectors on drives ...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/13/2001 10:43:33
> > There's a certain amount of amusement in sticking a telephone book
> > on the fridge door.  But this trick requires magnets from an older
> > full-height 5.25" 8-platter drive like a Maxtor 8760...
>
> Hmm, I just happen to have that drive, or one very similar to it...
> 1.something gig 5.25" full-height Maxtor SCSI drive. It has bad sectors
> and I don't use it anymore... hmm :)
>
> Of course, if I ever accidentally stick it to the fridge without a phone
> book in between, I'll probably never get it back off again :)

Yes - and be VERY careful not to let the 2 magnets touch, you wont get
them apart ever, never, not at all.

We took apart a 5.25" differential scsi disk, the magnents from that
are lethal.  Carry one in a pocket, and it sticks to random items.
Not helped by the UK 'bronze' coins being ferro-magnetic.

    David