Subject: [ipt: Re: Upgrading from 1.4 using patches[Success]]
To: NetBSD-User <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ian P. Thomas Ipt <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/12/2001 19:47:12
----- Forwarded message from "Ian P. Thomas Ipt" <ipt> -----

Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.4 using patches[Success]
From: "Ian P. Thomas Ipt" <ipt>
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 19:44:11 -0500

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 06:15:44PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 06:32:27PM -0500, Ian P. Thomas wrote:
> > 	I went ahead and wiped the sources and reinstalled them from my 1.4
> > cdrom.  I then installed the appropriate diff's in order:
> >
> > diff-1.4-to-1.4.1
> > diff-1.4.1-to-1.4.2
> > diff-1.4.2-to-1.4.3
> >
> > 	The same yacc error occurs.  This time, however, there is no .rej file
> > for /usr/src/dist/bind/bin/named/yp_parser.y.  I am running a 1.4.3 kernel
> > that installed fine from sources, but having my userland out of sync is
> > probably not a good thing (although I've been told that newer kernels can
> > run older binaries).  Should I try and do a binary upgrade to 1.4.3?  If
> > so, what is the best way to do this?  I have heard mention of a way to
> > upgrde from the installer.  This is not a problem, as I have a bootable
> > cdrom.
>
> This is really strange. It's possible that you need to upgrade your toolchain
> first, then. Did you try reinstalling lex & yacc before the make build ?
> Also try to nuke the include files in /usr/include and run 'make includes'
> from the top of the source tree.
>
> To do a binary upgrade, as you're already running a 1.4.3 kernel,
> I would be manually unpack the binary sets.
> grab the 1.4.3 binary sets (base and comp should be enouth if you're planning
> to rerun a 'make build' after) and then:
> cd /
> rm -rf /usr/include (to make sure you won't have old
> zcat /tmp/base.tgz |tar xpf -
> zcat /tmp/comp.tgz |tar xpf -
>
> --
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
> --

	I went and did a binary upgrade using the method listed above.  I then
went ahead and tried another make build.  Same yacc error.  At this point
in time, I was convinced that there was something wrong with the patch
process from 1.4.1 to 1.4.2 and 1.4.2 to 1.4.3.  I downloaded the 1.4.3
sources from ftp.netbsd.org, cleared out /usr/src, and put them in there.
I was able to build successfully.  I should have had the old build create a
file from the generated error output to submit and see if the problem was
at my end or with the patches, but I didn't.  I did this time though.  My
next goal is to install the XFree sources for 3.3.6, build them, and get X
working.  So far, after doing a binary upgrade of X, xf86config segfaults
when asked to show a list of video cards.
	Thanks to Manuel and others who helped along the way.  It's a slow
process sometimes, but I learned a great deal.

Ian

p.s. After make build, do you run make install, or is that it?

--
Of Course It Runs NetBSD
www.netbsd.org

----- End forwarded message -----