Subject: Re: emacs package
To: Wayne Cuddy , Wiz <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/12/2001 13:23:57
Also, for future reference, I believe that the proper way to submit a bug
report is to:

 (a) Check the problem report (PR) database from NetBSD's web pages.
     (``Report or query a bug'' from http://www.NetBSD.org/ )

     (I always turn on checks for ``closed'' PR's as well.  You never
     know when something may have been reported and fixed 2 hours ago.
     Or, depending on the age of the system on which you are reporting
     the problem, 2 years ago.  (^&)

 (b) If no matching report can be found, file one (category ``pkg''),
     either via send-pr or from the web pages.

This applies to package problems as much as to kernel, bin, ...  Yes?

In the particular case of emacs, there's an option (-nw) that lets you
tell it NOT to use X.  You could wrap emacs up in a script that invokes
the real emacs with the option to disable using X.  (Also, if you link to
the machine from a system that is running X, you might want to have X
support there.  Something to think about before you disable it completely
in your copy of emacs by rebuilding.  (^&)

(If you already knew any of the above, skip the appropriate bits...)