Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.4 using patches
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Ian P. Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/07/2001 18:32:27
On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 05:14:45PM -0500, Ian P. Thomas wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:06:25AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 08:54:01PM -0500, Ian P. Thomas wrote:
> > > 	I did just this.  There was a .rej in /usr/src/dist/bind/bin/named for
> > > the above mentioned file, ns_parse.y.  I installed the one from the
> > > NetBSD-1.4-release and I'm still getting the error.  Any chance this might
> > > be a yacc error?  At any rate, my kernel compiles with the 1.4.3 patch
> > > applied and I also found out what the domestic directory is.  Its the
> > > sources to the security related items.  I installed secsrc.gz and the patch
> > > only complains about three files that aren't there.
> > > 	This yacc error seems to be complaining about the first line of the
> > > file.  This is strange because the first line is just the comment line and
> > > as far as I can see there is no end-of-line on the first line.
> >
> > Maybe you need to rebuild and reinstall yacc first ?
> >
> > --
> > Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.           Manuel.Bouyer@lip6.fr
> > --
>
> 	I went and into the following directory and did a make make install for
> yacc.  No problems there.
>
> /usr/src/usr.bin/yacc
>
> 	I'm going to wipe most of /usr/src and install the src from 1.4, apply
> the patches again and see if there is an improvement.
>
> Ian
>
> --
> Of Course It Runs On NetBSD
> www.netbsd.org

	I went ahead and wiped the sources and reinstalled them from my 1.4
cdrom.  I then installed the appropriate diff's in order:

diff-1.4-to-1.4.1
diff-1.4.1-to-1.4.2
diff-1.4.2-to-1.4.3

	The same yacc error occurs.  This time, however, there is no .rej file
for /usr/src/dist/bind/bin/named/yp_parser.y.  I am running a 1.4.3 kernel
that installed fine from sources, but having my userland out of sync is
probably not a good thing (although I've been told that newer kernels can
run older binaries).  Should I try and do a binary upgrade to 1.4.3?  If
so, what is the best way to do this?  I have heard mention of a way to
upgrde from the installer.  This is not a problem, as I have a bootable
cdrom.

Ian

--
Of Course It Runs NetBSD