Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.4 using patches
To: None <,>
From: Ian P. Thomas <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/02/2001 15:13:15
> From Sun Dec  2 14:51:51 2001
> Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 19:56:54 +0000
> From: Chris Pinnock <>
> To: Ian Patrick Thomas <>
> Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.4 using patches
> On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 03:06:20AM -0500, Ian Patrick Thomas wrote:
> > 	I have installed all the source packages and have also went and downloaded the changelogs
> > from 1.4-1.4.1 1.4.1-1.4.2 and 1.4.2-1.4.3.  I have diff files that appear to be what I need to
> > upgrade to 1.4.3.  I have tried applying the 1.4-1.4.1 patch in /usr/src and it bails.  I would
> > give more info, but I'm writing this from my GNU/Linux partition.  Is there some documentation on
> > how to upgrade piecemeal?  I've done FreeBSD upgrades using CVSup, does NetBSD do something
> > similar?  I'd really like to get up to 1.4.3 for a few reasons, the most important being the bug
> > fixes.  Also I'm not able to install the Mutt package in 1.4.  I'll copy down the make errors and
> > post them in a seperate message.  I was hoping the upgrade to 1.4.3 would fix the problem.
> Ian,
> Just one caveat I can think of if you are going from 1.4 to 1.4.3 using
> source code. You might need to build and install "egcs" first.
> Otherwise you will get some compiler warnings with a few software packages.
> Alternatively, you could do a binary upgrade.
> best wishes,
> --
> Chris

	I tried to install the egcs package from src, but it gave me an error
message stating the following:

egcs-1.1.2 is not available for NetBSD-1.4-i386

	I was able to successfully install the patch in /usr/src doing the

cd /usr/src
gunzip diff-1.4-to-1.4.1.gz
patch -p1 < diff-1.4-to-1.4.1.gz

	After checking out the Makefile in /usr/src, I think the next thing I
need to do is

make build

	in /usr/src.  I would think that after this is done I should recompile
my kernel using the new sources, correct?  After which I should reboot and
see if everything is o.k.  I'm not sure if I need to do a make install
also.  My guess is that once the sources are rebuilt for 1.4.1, I won't get
the egcs error message and I'll then be able to upgrade the rest of the

Thanks to all who helped so far.

Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free address at