Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.4 using patches
To: None <david@vex.net, ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
From: Ian P. Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/01/2001 09:17:22
> From david@vex.net Sat Dec  1 09:05:30 2001
> Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 00:22:39 -0500
> From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
> To: Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
> Cc: netbsd-users@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.4 using patches
>
> On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 03:06:20AM -0500, Ian Patrick Thomas wrote:
> > 	I have installed all the source packages and have also went and downloaded the changelogs
> > from 1.4-1.4.1 1.4.1-1.4.2 and 1.4.2-1.4.3.  I have diff files that appear to be what I need to
> > upgrade to 1.4.3.  I have tried applying the 1.4-1.4.1 patch in /usr/src and it bails.  I would
> > give more info, but I'm writing this from my GNU/Linux partition.  Is there some documentation on
> > how to upgrade piecemeal?  I've done FreeBSD upgrades using CVSup, does NetBSD do something
> > similar?  I'd really like to get up to 1.4.3 for a few reasons, the most important being the bug
> > fixes.  Also I'm not able to install the Mutt package in 1.4.  I'll copy down the make errors and
> > post them in a seperate message.  I was hoping the upgrade to 1.4.3 would fix the problem.
>
> Is there a particular reason you want to upgrade incrementally,
> instead of simply grabbing the 1.4.3 binary tarballs? That would make
> the upgrade a lot less work.
>
> If you really do want to do each step by recompiling, you might be able
> to compile a 1.4.3 source set directly on a 1.4 box, with a bit of
> manual intervention... otherwise you'll be waiting for a lot of compiles
> if you do 1.4->1.4.1->1.4.2->1.4.3 - unless you really want to do it
> just for the experience.
>
> You could use anoncvs to checkout the source tree as tagged for a
> particular release. Personally, I would do that instead of applying
> patch sets.
>
> --
> David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net -->
> Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...
> 					      - me

	I wanted to download as little as possible.  I only have a 56k connection and it seems like downloading the binary packs could take a while.  Downloading the complete sets of sources for 1.4.3 would definitely take a while.  I don't mind compiling on my end for each increment, this machine is pretty quick.  From what I've read on some past mail, going from 1.4.3 is tricky.  For that I'll use a different approach.  So where can I apply these patches:

diff-1.4-to-1.4.1.gz
diff-1.4.1-to-1.4.2.gz
diff-1.4.2-to-1.4.3.gz

	Thanks for clueing me in on the other options available.

Ian