Subject: Re: Crash-resilience of FFS (w/softdeps)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/29/2001 22:54:16
On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 09:47:17PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Mike Cheponis wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, and there are several PR's open on it. For me, it was the
> > > experience of moving some large directory trees around after
> > > installing a new 60gb disk that finally convinced me to turn softdeps
> > > off forever.
> >
> > How did the buggy softdeps get into an official release?
>
> It's an option. "We give you enough rope to hang yourself."
>
> To be fair, I used it for nearly a year with out any evident problems.

I'm not convinced softdeps are nearly as buggy as some people seem to
think they are.  I *am* convinced that they make you far, far more
vulnerable to buggy hardware, e.g. IDE disks that claim to not have a
cache, but actually (as your 60GB disk does) probably have several
megabytes of it, and report writes complete when they hit the cache,
not the disk.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron