Subject: Re: watching a tty
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <xs@nitric.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/29/2001 17:38:01
on Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 05:20:21PM +0100, Tomasz Luchowski wrote:
> Would it be possible to do something similair (i.e. spying another person and
> seeing what's she doing) on NetBSD?

There is kibitz, it is included as an example tcl script with the
lang/tcl-expect package. A man page for it is here:

    http://www.scriptics.com/man/expect5.31/kibitz.1.html

> as they have to use "pseudo-device snp" in kernel. Any thoughts?

Under linux there is ttysnoop. I don't know how well this would work with
NetBSD though. I don't think it has any kernel specific requirements. I could be
wrong. Curiously the ttysnoop man page labels itself as "BSD Experimental"
from the "UNIX System Manager's Manual".

A more generic "snoop" interface would be quite useful for debugging
userland<->kernel interactions via devices, although if you have the source
it's quite easy to simply write the data twice (once to the device,
once to a file).