Subject: Re: Crash-resilience of FFS (w/softdeps)
To: B. James Phillippe <bryanxms@ecst.csuchico.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/29/2001 00:24:33
On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 03:00:06PM -0800, B. James Phillippe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a NetBSD newbie running NetBSD-1.5.2 on an Alpha with /usr mounted
> using softdeps.  I'm curious to know how resilient the FFS is, particularly
> when using softdeps, on unclean shutdowns.  I come from a heavy Linux (and
> therefore EXT2) background.

Better than linux :)
Unless there is a bug somewhere you shoudln't need to run a manual
fsck after an unclean shutdown.
I have a NetBSD/sparc acting as web server, to which each servers on the network
copy their mrtg results each 5mn (as it's slow, scp takes more than 4mn so there
is small but constant disk activity). In 2.5 years it never had any reboot
problem (it doesn't even have a console). It had 10s of unclean shutdown, as
we have serious power supply problems at this place. I've got problems with
linux boxes (as expected) and also with a solaris 27 (one time).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>