Subject: Synchronous mounts of FFS
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Grayson \(home\) <bgrayson@austin.rr.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/28/2001 21:08:29
  On my router box, I have my partitions mounted synchronously, so
that hopefully whenever it is turned on, it will auto-fsck itself if
needed with no problems.  This makes it a no-maintenance router, which
is good considering my wife's Unix background...  :)

  My thinking was, if I mount synchronously, then at most one
transaction was outstanding, and thus fsck should be able to fix
everything by itself.  However, I just ran a series of around 8
pull-the-plugs.  A few times there were no problems, a few times there
was a single file or block count that was bad, but twice there were
multiple fsck errors (two INCORRECT BLOCK COUNT errors, 3 were UNREF
files, and then the expected resulting triple of bitmap, free blk counts,
and summary information bad).  The multiple UNREF files etc. clashes with
my naive understanding of things...

  So, am I misunderstanding what synchronous mode means?

  (I realize that I shouldn't need to mount synchronously, but
ordinary no-softdep-mounts have gone to manual fsck often enough on
this box that it makes the box not reliable as a turnkey solution for
folks who don't appreciate Unix.)

  Thanks!

  Brian Grayson