Subject: Re: audiorecord, then what?
To: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/28/2001 19:59:58
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> Greetings again. I want to use my NetBSD 1.5.1 system to record
> speech from cassette tape (not CD) and turn it into MP3s. My PC has a
> SoundBlaster card that shows up just fine. I use the audiorecord
> program to record from /dev/audio0 to a file.
>
> The audiorecord man page says "The output file will contain a
> Sun/NeXT audio header." Which of the many MP3 programs in pkgsrc can
> handle this kind of file? What arguments do I need for those programs
> to say "this is a Sun/NeXT audio file"?

"audacity" is a graphical sound editor that can open "au" files and
write them as "mp3"'s.

I don't know of any command line utility that does the same, but you
can always convert "au" to "wav", with "auconvert" (part of "nasd") or
"sox", and compress the "wav" files with "lame" or "bladeenc". "lame"
can do Variable Bit Rate, which sounds particularly good on a player
that supports it (like "madplay").

Frederick