Subject: Re: Crash-resilience of FFS (w/softdeps)
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Ibbotson <richard@sheflug.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/28/2001 23:20:06
Hi

> I'm a NetBSD newbie running NetBSD-1.5.2 on an Alpha with /usr
> mounted using softdeps.  I'm curious to know how resilient the FFS
> is, particularly when using softdeps, on unclean shutdowns.  I come
> from a heavy Linux (and therefore EXT2) background.

I was recently involved in a completely unproductive discussion about=20
this on an Open BSD list .   The final analysis of the argument went=20
something like.....

*  Why are you trying to even mention ext2 vs ffs on this list
*  Reiser FS is much better
*  Reiser FS is not better it fails as much as ffs does or does not
*  EXT 3 might be the answer

Faced with this kind of uninformed discussion I gave up and=20
unsubscribed from the list as a way to stop myself from rolling=20
around under the table whilst laughing.

Apologies to those of us who are Open BSD people :))

--=20
Richard