Subject: Re: Problem with Window 2000->IE 5.5->ftp://ftp.netbsd.org and IPF
To: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
From: Ian Cooper <ian@WPI.EDU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/27/2001 12:59:06
An additional note is that I was using the standard windows
commandline FTP client.

--
Ian Cooper
ian@wpi.edu

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Ian Cooper wrote:

// Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:57:33 -0500 (EST)
// From: Ian Cooper <ian@WPI.EDU>
// To: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
// Cc: netbsd-users@netbsd.org
// Subject: Re: Problem with Window 2000->IE 5.5->ftp://ftp.netbsd.org and
//     IPF
//
// // Has anyone run into this problem?
//
// Yes.
//
// // I have a DSL link with an assigned IP subnet block from my ISP. I'm using a
// // NetBSD machine as a router/firewall using IPF. I have the following machines
// // as clients, Windows 2000, Windows NT 4.0, Windows ME, and Linux.
//
// I had a similar setup at my place of employment with a Linux-based
// router (using ipchains) and Windows clients.
//
// // I noticed recently, that when I use IE 5.5 on my Windows 2000 machine to go
// // into ftp.netbsd.org via www.netbsd.org, something happens and the ftp packets
// // back to my Windows 2000 machine get blocked.
//
// I noticed the same behavior with all of the Windows clients.  I was
// able to work around that by logging into the router first, downloading
// whatever locally there, and then using ftp from windows to the router
// to get stuff from there.  Since then, we have replaced the router with
// a higher-powered Windows 2000 Server system that also acts as a file
// server.  Now ftp works fine from all machines.
//
// --
// Ian Cooper
// ian@wpi.edu