Subject: Re: Ether Q
To: Todd Gruhns Acct <tgruhn2@mail.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/25/2001 14:31:24
Hi !

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Todd Gruhns Acct wrote:
> About a year ago, I recall a Tony Hernandez asking about an ethernet
> card with the RTL 8139 chipset. He had good things to say about it.
> I found a RealTech (sp?) 8139 -- is it safe to assume this is the
> same chipset? Which driver do I use with such a card?

The 8139 is very fast in Linux and Windoze, but beware of the driver in *BSD,
about 30% of code is just a story against the very bad implementation of the
chip, and the rest of the driver never worked very stable. This was the state
in NetBSD 1.4.2 and FreeBSD 4.0 (same driver source). On Alpha systems, it
runs fine, but as you start using NFS a bit more, the machine just crashes.
Same in i386 architecture. I kicked away my 8139 cards and got a bunch of
the - very bad in performance and link negotiation - 3com 59x or so cards.

Maybe the driver is better today, but i will not purchase a Realtek 8139 again.

Ah yes, the driver module is named rtk, as commented in the config file.

...Michael

--
visit http://www.bsdfans.org/   Home network powered by: NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD
Solaris HP-UX IRIX AIX MUNIX Tru64 Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS