Subject: Re: losing linux machine.
To: Shea A Martin <sam060@mail.usask.ca>
From: Oleg Polyanski <Oleg.Polianski@clear.co.nz>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/21/2001 11:48:48
Shea A Martin <sam060@mail.usask.ca> writes:

> 2.  The school uses v. 1.4.2 on PII's,  and all assignments must be able
> run on the schools machines.  But at the same time it is nice to have
> the latest version.  What is the compatibility like b/n the two versions
> as far as C/C++ systems programming, and shell scripting.  (I oftern
> develop on my linux workstation, but find the portability to be hit and
> miss, ie.  commands output info is diff format for shell scripts, netbsd
> has a slightly different set of libs and c header files.)  Is it fairly
> safe to go with 1.5 or should I go with 1.4?

 Before you start using C++ compiler that is shipped with 1.4.x series, you
 have not forget that

  1) exception handling does not work out of the box, you must specify the
     compiler option `-fsjlj-exceptions' when compiling your code with
     exceptions. You may put this option into `specs' file which is part of
     g++ infrastructure.

  2) STL is miles away from standard compliance. You might want to replace
     it with STLport.

Take care,