Subject: losing linux machine.
To: NetBSD users <NetBSD-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Shea A Martin <sam060@mail.usask.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/20/2001 01:48:01
I would like a netBSD machine for development (cs assignments), and I am
sick of telneting into the Universities over run machines. so:

I currently have a linux (debian) box dedicated to the following three
tasks: firewall, ipmasqerading, ftp server (light use).  I would like to
switch this machine over to NetBSD.  But first I have some questions.

1.  How hard is it so set up a dhcp client (ie. my isp uses dhcp?).

2.  The school uses v. 1.4.2 on PII's,  and all assignments must be able
run on the schools machines.  But at the same time it is nice to have
the latest version.  What is the compatibility like b/n the two versions
as far as C/C++ systems programming, and shell scripting.  (I oftern
develop on my linux workstation, but find the portability to be hit and
miss, ie.  commands output info is diff format for shell scripts, netbsd
has a slightly different set of libs and c header files.)  Is it fairly
safe to go with 1.5 or should I go with 1.4?

3.  Is there an iso image I can download for install purposes, or it is
net install only?

4.  For post install prog/app installation,   what is the default
method?  tar xvzf app.tar.gz; make; make install?  Or is there a fancy
system like debian's apt-get, or rh's rpm?

5.  What is default filesystem for 1.5?  Can I choose during install?

Thanks in advance.

~Shea Martin