Subject: Re: T-DSL with NetBSD?
To: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/20/2001 12:08:28
Hi !

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Bjoern Labitzke wrote:
> AFAIK some NetBSD users use T-DSL of the Deutsche Telekom AG. Are
> there any models of DSL modems that I should try to keep clear of,
> when I want a working setup? Any special gotchas?
>
> Any appropriate hints or setup advices are welcome. Many thanks in
> advance,

The DSL modem is the box you get from the Telekom. And i think every box works
in the same manner, having a link to the next access concentrator, which is
then used by some PPPoE stuff. I use rp-pppoe with NetBSD-1.5.2 here, it works
_VERY_ fine. The machine is a P-100 with 48 Megs, i also have squid and some
other stuff running on it, besides ipf to control the traffic, and 6to4
tunneling to use IPv6.

If you are looking for an external DSL modem, you should look out for the
Zyxel Prestige 310 (or so), it seems to be good, and even supports stuff like
DynDNS updates in the firmware.

But anyways, you should have a box running some packet filtering and NAT behind
it, if you want to make it really good. And i think, you just don't need the
DSL router.

Last setup was a 486DX4-100, which also was capable to do the full
bandwidth of DSL.

...Michael

--
visit http://www.bsdfans.org/   Home network powered by: NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD
Solaris HP-UX IRIX AIX MUNIX Tru64 Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS