Subject: Re: Seeking the truth about bad sectors
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/16/2001 12:19:20
[ On Wednesday, November 14, 2001 at 20:41:56 (+0100), Manuel Bouyer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Seeking the truth about bad sectors
>
> SCSI disks can also do bad block mapping automatically, but this can be
> disabled.

Indeed it seems many disk vendors disable bad-block remapping by default
unfortunately.  I've only found it enabled by default on newer IBM and
Seagate drives (but perhaps it is still not on by default on drives
classified as "AV" models).

> You can then use a scsi command to manually remap a block.
> See scsictl(8).

Unfortunately scsictl cannot yet re-enable automatic read and write
reallocation.  The old scsi(8) command from FreeBSD (you can find it in
the Attic directories of their repository) can be compiled on NetBSD,
and it can do all kinds of nifty SCSI mode-page manipulation.

--
							Greg A. Woods