Subject: are err(3) safe?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/15/2001 12:53:05
The routines in the err(3) family can take format strings.  A number of
programs have had security problems because of assorted format-related
vulnerabilities, including buffer overflows.  The latter is what
concerns me here -- is the code safe, or should I limit string lengths?
From a quick glance at the source, I *think* they're safe, because
err.c ultimately calls verr, which uses vfprintf.  But there are enough
twisty little macro calls that I want to be sure on this point.  (A
related issue is how safe implementations of this routine are on other
platforms, especially Linux.)

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com