Subject: Re: ramdisk - NetBSD 1.5/i386
To: Palle Lyckegaard <PalleLyckegaard@e-noerd.dk>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/12/2001 15:43:11
Palle Lyckegaard <PalleLyckegaard@e-noerd.dk> writes:
> I'm looking for some guidelines on how to create a ramdisk
> and mount my '/var', '/tmp' etc. directories on top of this/these
> ramdisk(s).
>
> A 'ls -l /dev/*md*' on my system show two devices - /dev/md0a and
> /dev/md0d

You're barking up the wrong tree. (At least you mostly are.)

0) man mount_mfs
1) If you're on port-i386, look at /etc/fstab.wd (or fstab.sd) for an
   example of mounting a memory file system on /tmp.
2) Don't try putting /var/ on a ramdisk. Bad karma lies there. Most of
   that data should be persistant and very little of it is disk
   intensive.
3) the md devices are rarely used outside of install time. They aren't
   really suitable for the purpose you want them for.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com