Subject: Re: Tracking NetBSD updates
To: Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/30/2001 00:01:22
>  I have used FreeBSD for several years, and track
>"FreeBSD-stable" on several machines.  Occassionally I will
>perform a "cvsup" and rebuild the world and a new kernel.
>Then I run "mergemaster" to update various "etc" type files.
>  On some machines I have installed NetBSD.  There are some
>differences, and this email is to ask for clarifaction between
>tracking "FreeBSD-stable" and something equivalent on NetBSD.
>
>Q1:  It seems that whereas there are "FreeBSD-releases,
>     "FreeBSD-stable" and "FreeBSD-current" there are
>     "NetBSD-releases" and "NetBSD-current".  So while I may update a
>     FreeBSD-stable machine at any time and will probably get a stable
>     working setup, with NetBSD I should wait for specific releases
>     (such as 1.5.1 and 1.5.2) if I am not willing to struggle with
>     "NetBSD-current".  True?

freebsd and netbsd current and releases are probably more or less
equivalent in terms of effort on the part of the user.  freebsd's
"-stable" is roughly (as i understand matters) the same as tracking
one of the cvs tags in netbsd's cvs tree, such as "netbsd-1-5", and
building as often as you like.

>Q2:  When I update my FreeBSD machines I perform a "source update".
>     I don't see much reference to "binary updates" on FreeBSD.
>     In contrast, it seems that NetBSD updates are available as
>     "binary" or "source", and for those who do track only the releases
>     it probably is more convenient to track the "binary" releases rather
>     than "source and compile" updates.  True?

upgrading from one release to the next is usually much easier if done
via a binary path.  upgrading via binaries means it can be done in a
couple of hours, including whatever work needs to be spent mixing new
/etc material in.  upgrading via source can take hours or even days as
everything is rebuilt, and can also be quite difficult.  ultimately,
it's a matter of taste.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|