Subject: Exim and TLS (OpenSSL) unsuccessful
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: netbsd.ndk <gibber_ndk@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/29/2001 20:27:07
I installed Exim 3.32 from pkgsrc with the default options for TLS in
the Makefile:

SUPPORT_TLS=    YES
TLS_LIBS=       -lssl -lcrypto

Exim ran fine, but 'STARTTLS' returned a '500 Unrecognized command'
error from telnet.  So, I knew that TLS support was not compiled in.

I upgraded OpenSSL to 0.9.6 from pkgsrc and put the locations of the
upgraded OpenSSL lib and include files in the Makefile:

SUPPORT_TLS=    YES
TLS_LIBS=       -L/usr/pkg/lib/ -lssl -lcrypto
TLS_INCLUDE=    -I/usr/pkg/include/openssl/

When the binary builds, it doesn't mention anything about OpenSSL,
but it doesn't complain about the libs and include files not being
there either!

When I add the lines:

tls_advertise_hosts = *
tls_certificate = /etc/mail/certs/exim.pem
tls_privatekey = /etc/mail/certs/exim.pem

to /usr/pkg/etc/exim/configure and restart exim, I get 'Exim
configuration errors' regarding the tls_* options.

Has anyone successfully built Exim with TLS and can tell me how they
built it with either the default OpenSSL libs/includes or the pkgsrc
OpenSSL libs/includes?  I'd also like to see their configure file and
exactly where the 'tls_*' options go.  I have searched Google, the
exim-users mailing list, all the netbsd mailing lists and no one has
ever reported this.

What am I missing here?

TIA