Subject: Re: 127.0.0.1 slow
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/29/2001 09:18:20
On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> when i'm sending attachment from pine (which use localhost to connect to
> sendmail) it sends first 100-200kB fast then very slowly - while only 8%
> CPU is loaded. when using pipe instead of localhost everything is right.

When you say pipe -- do you mean piping the message directly to "sendmail
-t"?

> why localhost is so slow?

Did you configure pine like "smtp-server=127.0.0.1"?

At first, I was thinking that the slow down may be caused by missing
reverse IP resolution, DNS timeouts or ident lookup timeouts. But you
indicate that a lot of a message is sent fast.

How did you measure this 100-200kB of the message?

Can you provide more information?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/