Subject: Apache problems with NetBSD/Sparc64
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Cotrina <rcc@demo.telefonica.com.pe>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/19/2001 12:39:49
Hi guys :

I am a new user of NetBSD wich last version (1.5.2) is installed in my
Sparc64 (Ultra 5) box. I was recommended to use NetBSD because it was (is)
the most stable vesrion of *BSD for Sparc64.

I have migrated an Apache web server running in other OS , to the
NetBSD/Sparc64 + Apache 2.0 installed form the ports.
The previous server had around 1000 simultaneous connections, but I am
having problems withe the apache server runnnig in the NetBSD/Sparc64 with
the same volume of connections.

First of all, I have followed the Apache documentation in tunning the web
server for hig performance, and I have customized my kernel with the options
:

maxusers    256
options         NMBCLUSTERS=4096

I also modified the httpd.conf . The problem appears with a high number of
http connections, and all the users have this message in their browsers :

"Internal Server Error

to complete your request.

snip "

And I got this messages in the error file :

[Fri Oct 19 09:18:07 2001] [warn] (54)Connection reset by peer: setsockopt:
(TCP_NODELAY)
[Fri Oct 19 09:23:01 2001] [error] [client a.b.c.d] (35)Resource temporarily
unavailable: couldn't spawn child process:
/usr/pkg/share/httpd/cgi-bin/index.cgi

The script is with the right attributes and is in the roght place. All of
this works fine with a few concurrent users, but when there are a lot of
them , then the error appear.

What I also saw is a lot of TCP FIN_WAIT_2 connections in the netstat that
don't dissapear, using the port 80 of my server.

By now, I have had to continue with my old machine wich was a FreeBSD/ix86,
but I'd like to have my Ultra5 as a Web Server with a BSD os ( I don't relay
in solaris).

Any ideas or suggestions about this problem ??

Best regards,

Richard Cotrina