Subject: Re: Basic Help
To: Richard Ibbotson <richard@sheflug.co.uk>
From: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/15/2001 12:46:49
On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 11:31:10AM +0000, Richard Ibbotson wrote:
> Hello
> [...]
> I've tried to do 'pkg_info -a' and  ' pkg_info | more' .  I'd like to
> find out what's installed and which packages I should either add or
> delete.  When I try the above I find that all that happens is that
> the cursor returns to the next # and I don't get any info.
>
> What am I doing wrong here ?  Can someone give me a clue please.

Nothing. You are just doing everything right ;) But well.
The NetBSD base system is not split into packages like dealt with
by pkg_{add,delete,info,what_ever}, but into tarballs which you
'directly' extract... (for a normal install, that is).
"Packages" are add-on software pieces whose administration is made
easier through all those pkg_* commands.

What you observe simply tells you that you do not have any packages
installed.

You can find a list of packages in NetBSD at e.g.
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/README.html

An intro to packages can be found at
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html

Hope that helps,

Martin Weber