Subject: Re: "ssh" with SSHv2 public key buggy?
To: Grant Beattie <grant@grunta.com>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/09/2001 23:35:51
>On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 08:11:06AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>
>> > The v2 protocol is in no way inherently slower than v1. If it is
>> > slower for you, you're doing something wrong.
>>
>> ssh'ing with -2 with RSA/DSA takes lot of time. then it works normal
>
>Indeed.
>
>I've found that session setup is slower, and interactive use is less
>responsive than v1. this is especially noticable on slower systems.

Heh heh heh... try:
   ssh -2 `hostname`
on something like a *lightly loaded* SPARC IPC... :>   (Hint:  the protocol
will timeout before completing the negotiation!)

I think a big source of confusion is  the fact that there are a couple of
different issues involved.  E.g., there are two different *protocols*
(v1 and v2) but, also, two choices *within* the v2 framework -- RSA
vs. DSA.

Of course, the ssh/sshd documentation leaves much to be
desired in explaining these issues in *practical* terms.  Rather,
the man pages (etc.) appear to be intended as *reference*
materials for folks who already *know* the mechanics and
just need a refresher on "details"...

There are also several idiosynchracies in the configuration file(s)
that can prove troublesome if you aren't aware of the hand-waving
in the documentation...  :-(

But, worth the time to explore given the benefits available
("Use the Source, Luke...")

--don