Subject: Re: SCSI tape drives and changers
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: None <collver@linuxfreemail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/09/2001 11:54:05
> > > IMHO it's hardware overshoot. for this i would but one DDS-3 or DDS-4
> > > drive.
> > Exept I want a reliable backup drive. I'm not interested in writing tapes
> > I can't read 6 months laters.
> you mean DAT is unreliable?
> never observed this (except when reading DDS-1 tape on wangDAT which was
> written on DDS-2 HP drive, there were few correctable errors)

At work we back up and archive around 5 terrabytes a week to DLT media.
(Not using NetBSD).  We didn't have near this volume when we were using DAT
libraries.. but on our large scale, the reliability difference between DAT
and DLT (both hardware and media) is night and day.

Ben
  __
 (oO)  Why vote for the lesser of two evils?  Cthulhu for president.
 /||\