Subject: Re: Help with NetBSD auvia driver ...
To: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mail.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/05/2001 00:51:19
On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
> |auvia0 at pci0 dev 7 function 5: VIA VT82C686A AC'97 Audio (rev C)
> |auvia0: interrupting at irq 12
> |auvia0: NSN83 codec; 18 bit ADC, 20 bit ADC, Philips Incredible Sound
> |auvia0: codec must support AC'97 2.0 Variable Rate Audio
> :
> :
>
> ... which seems to me that the device was found OK and initialised
> properly ... and I have audio devices:

I don't have a system with one of these chips myself, but there's been
some mailing list discussion about them in the past. That last line is
actually an error message meaning that the codec you have doesn't
support variable rate audio, but it must for the driver to function.
From what I gather, this is a fairly common occurrence with VIA sound
chips--they only support a fixed sample rate, such as 48kHz and require
software resampling for any other rates.

Newer versions of the driver in NetBSD-current will print a warning and
enable the device anyways, only failing if an attempt is made to set the
sample rate to anything other than the one sample rate the chip
supports.
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 25 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++