Subject: Re: Bootable CD-ROM
To: Boo Geum Jung <bgjung@etri.re.kr>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/03/2001 19:02:17
"Boo Geum Jung" wrote:

> What I really want to know is how to boot form MFS not using NFS, or CDROM only using RAM.
> There is no proper guide for that.
> The following steps are needed, I think.
>
> 1) make disk image - ramdisk.fs
> 2) build netbsd by "mdsetimage -v netbsd ramdisk.fs"
> 3) download netbsd
> 4) set boot device : md0, when booting
>
> * I don't know how to make disk image which includs /etc, /tmp, /home....
> I already booted netbsd with NFS.
> I thought the directories used for NFS is used for making disk image files.

About the best documentation we have is under src/distrib.

src/distrib/pmax/ramdisk is the one I'm most fimilar with.  Under there,
"ramdiskbin.conf" contains the info to link multiple program together
to save space (you wont need this if you only want to try a handful of
binaries and have a large enough ramdisk), "mtree.conf" contains the
directory structure and "list" contains instructions on how to fill the
ramdisk.  Of course, the Makefile pulls it all together.

Note that currently you need to use a NetBSD host to build the
diskimages, due to dependancies on the vnd driver.

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/