Subject: Re: Locales (was Re: switching to -current: dangerous ?)
To: Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/24/2001 08:20:08
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LANG = "fr"
>     are supported and installed on your system.

I think this is a perl issue, someone should file a PR against our pkgsrc
perl version. The locales work ~everywhere, but not within perl. I can
reproduce the discribed behaviour on 1.5.2 and on -current.

I.e.:

[~] martin@night-porter > setenv LANG de
[~] martin@night-porter > cat blah
cat: blah: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
[~] martin@night-porter > perl -v
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
	LC_ALL = (unset),
	LC_CTYPE = "de_DE.ISO8859-1",
	LANG = "de"

Without LANG=de it works (I have LC_CTYPE set always, otherwise german umlauts
would not work).

Martin