Subject: Re: WLAN recommendations?
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/20/2001 10:52:40
On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 10:00:47AM +0300, Jukka Marin wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 11:25:08PM +0300, Jukka Marin wrote:
> > What kind of cards should I get for better reliability and performance?
>
> I'm running NetBSD 1.5W on all systems.  The other two machines appear to
> work OK, but gateway whines about "no route to host".

Once again, posting to a mailing list (and making myself a public fool)
helped.  I forgot to update my ipf rules (to use wi0 instead of ray0).

Just FYI: The operating range of the Orinoco cards does NOT look much better
than that of the Aviator cards.  The distance between my two machines is
about 18 meters with a few brick walls and a fireplace inbetween - and the
cards are running at 1 Mbps (instead of 11 Mbps) and the STILL have lots of
trouble talking to each other.

I guess I'll have to try getting indoor antennas for the cards (yet another
$200).. I really hope _that_ helps or I can soon start selling all kinds of
wireless cards and start buying more CAT5 cable ;-(

  -jm