Subject: Re: new expanded DMCA-like law
To: None <>
From: Thomas Mueller <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/11/2001 07:46:05
>A new DMCA-like law is being readied in congress.  This one would
>mandate that all computers include music-industry approved secure
>non-copyable storage system.  $500k/5year penalties for noncompliance.
>It doesn't look like these congressional turkeys have though about the
>open-source implications of this.

I certainly hope this DMCA-like law can be defeated, wish DMCA would be
defeated too.  Dmitry Sklyarov is threatened with a long prison sentence for
something perfectly legal in Russia.

Will computer users still be able to copy their own files, or music that the
composer willingly offers for download, on a freeware or shareware basis?  What
the music industry has been doing leaves me feeling bitter.  If they act like
Nazis, I will just not buy any digital music.  I've already pretty much
mentally written off music CDs and DVD movies, will save my money for more
worthwhile things.