Subject: Re: new expanded DMCA-like law
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <xyzzy+kpn-bfQrIJ@neutralgood.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/09/2001 23:16:19
On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 10:10:14PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> Believe me, your august representative in Washington would be overjoyed
> to give Microsoft a *legislative* monopoly if he thought that he could

Interesting to note that Microsoft is getting off very easily since
the Bush presidency decided to let them go. Interesting to note that
Bush campaigned at Microsoft telling the employees he would get the
government off their backs.

> stay in Congress for a few more decades by doing so.  These are not men
> of principle you're dealing with here; very much the contrary.

Won't happen.

If this thing becomes a bill that passes then it would destroy
RedHat, an NC RTP-based business. At least some of the original
RedHat employees went to NCSU, etc etc. Local boys starting an
internationally known company.

If this bill passes then it would do all sorts of damage to any
business that uses Linux or *BSD, embedded or no. That would do
lots of damage to many of the thousands and thousands of businesses
in the area. We're in bad enough shape as it is since our economy
(here near RTP) is so tech-heavy and the tech industry is slumping.

Why does this matter? Because one of North Carolina's senators is
well known for being a cranky old white koon who bends for nobody and stops
at nothing to take care of his people. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we
can probably recruit Jesse Helms to fight for the forces of good because
it would be bad for our economy if this passed into law.

Jesse Helms: he's not dead (or retired) yet.

Seen on bottom of IBM part number 1887724:
DO NOT EXPOSE MOUSE PAD TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.