Subject: Re: Limiting memory usage of bufcache?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/24/2001 12:01:03
On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Jukka Marin wrote:

> Simply creating a cd image flushes all processes out of RAM and makes a nice
> machine dead slow.  It makes no sense to try caching all the cd image data
> in RAM, anyway, because it is only accessed once and then deleted ;)

Solaris deals with this by detecting that a file is being used purely
sequentially, and changing the way it decides what to discard when
new memory is needed. I don't know the exact details of how it works,
but even a very simple-minded version of this (one bit to tell you if
an open file has ever been accessed non-sequentially) would fix the
problem you have, and improve various other common operations as well.
(Making MP3s, playing back audio or video, etc.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org