Subject: Re: Limiting memory usage of bufcache?
To: Oleg Polianski <Oleg.Polianski@clear.co.nz>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/23/2001 15:48:09
On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 06:47:26PM +1200, Oleg Polianski wrote:
>  I see. It's a different story and I have experienced exactly the same
>  behaviour in the situation like yours. Because you can't set upper memory
>  limits for buffer cache size, you could try to dig in tech-kern archives and
>  to look for the patches from Lars Heidieker for more balanced UVM/UBC
>  behaviour. They probably will not apply without problems to -current but who
>  knows.

Is it really true that this parameter can not be changed with sysctl or
a kernel rebuild?

Simply creating a cd image flushes all processes out of RAM and makes a nice
machine dead slow.  It makes no sense to try caching all the cd image data
in RAM, anyway, because it is only accessed once and then deleted ;)

I found my system performing better _before_ the buffer cache was improved
to take over all system RAM.

Please?  What's the magic option to be tuned?

  -jm