Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5 strfile?
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/18/2001 19:45:30
[ On Saturday, August 18, 2001 at 11:07:31 (-0700), John Hawkinson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5 strfile?
>
> In this case, it appears that this is a bug previously reported,
> as bin/9316, "strfile and unstr binary is not installed but online manual is installed," by Tanaka Akira in January of last year.
> juha <juhaulko@hauki.haukipudas.fi> wrote on Mon, 16 Jul 2001
> at 19:52:05 +0300 in <20010716195205.A320@timberwolf.org>:
> >
> > Since it serves no purpose in real life, it is not installed. One could argue
> > that it's man page shouldn't be installed either...
>
> Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com> wrote on Mon, 16 Jul 2001
> at 16:19:09 -0400 in <20010716201909.EEEE0D7@proven.weird.com>:
> >
> > Ah, I beg to differ -- it's a developer tool that's equally useful for
> > any purpose, not just for building NetBSD.  Any and all tools used
> > during the build should be installed and made usable for other projects
> > too!
>
> Surely, Greg, you are aware that it is not helpful, and actively
> harmful, perhaps, to comment on the merits of a bug that has not been
> reported, when the same energy can go into the reporting or documenting
> of the bug.
>
> Why did you not file a PR or look up the existing PR instead of
> sending an email to the list that served no real purpose?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.  As you've shown yourself
there was a PR filed at the time this thread started.  I was, IIRC,
aware of that PR at the time too.

My comment was merely made to point out that regardless of what the PR
author suggested, Juha's suggestion was not agreeable to me.

(I should no doubt have forwarded a similar comment to also be attached
to the PR, but alas I didn't....)

--
							Greg A. Woods