Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5 strfile?
To: juha , Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/18/2001 11:07:31
juha <juhaulko@hauki.haukipudas.fi> wrote on Mon, 16 Jul 2001
at 19:52:05 +0300 in <20010716195205.A320@timberwolf.org>:

> I seem to have the strfile(8) manpage installed on my NetBSD 1.5
> box, but the binary is missing?!? I installed everything (base,
> text, games, etc...)  and I'm pretty sure that I haven't deleted
> anything from /usr/{bin,sbin} (I checked the ctimes with ls). So is
> this a bug or a "feature"?

It is a bug that a program and manpage are not consistently
installed or installed. Ordinarily, you should file a PR (with
> send-pr) so that
the bug can be fixed.

Remember, netbsd-users is not for the reporting of bugs. Though
it is fine to ask if a thing is a bug or not.

In this case, it appears that this is a bug previously reported,
as bin/9316, "strfile and unstr binary is not installed but online manual is installed," by Tanaka Akira in January of last year.

Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> wrote on Mon, 16 Jul 2001
at 20:23:24 +0200 in <200107161823.f6GINPp11377@night-porter.duskware.de>:

> Since it serves no purpose in real life, it is not installed. One could argue
> that it's man page shouldn't be installed either...
>
> If you need it, goto /usr/src/games/fortune/strfile and do "make".

Indeed, it is quite clearly a bug. You should have reported it or commented
on it. Whether the bug is the installation of the manpage or the

Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com> wrote on Mon, 16 Jul 2001
at 16:19:09 -0400 in <20010716201909.EEEE0D7@proven.weird.com>:

> Ah, I beg to differ -- it's a developer tool that's equally useful for
> any purpose, not just for building NetBSD.  Any and all tools used
> during the build should be installed and made usable for other projects
> too!

Surely, Greg, you are aware that it is not helpful, and actively
harmful, perhaps, to comment on the merits of a bug that has not been
reported, when the same energy can go into the reporting or documenting
of the bug.

Why did you not file a PR or look up the existing PR instead of
sending an email to the list that served no real purpose?

Surely it would be a better use of all of our time?

I have assigned the PR to myself and shall deal with it in the medium term.

--jhawk