Subject: Re: MPEG 4 players
To: Kevin Sindhu <kevin@lucifer.at>
From: Tomasz Luchowski <zuntum@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/14/2001 10:48:06
On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 05:26:56PM -0700, Kevin Sindhu wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 02:16:26AM -0500, Emre Yildirim penned:
> > On Monday 13 August 2001 00:58, Tomasz Luchowski wrote:
no, I did not write the paragraph below. there's something wrong
with your mailer.

> > I use mplayer (on linux though).  It works great; the guy even has a
> > Win32codec.zip file on his website that has like 35+ codecs that you can
> > download, in case you dont have a windoze box.  Mplayer has been working
> > really well for me, there isn't a movie that I can't watch (except
> > quicktime).  Unfortunately I couldn't try it on my NetBSD box yet, because it
> > doesn't have X.  Someone should try or possibly make a package for it...
>
> Mplayer does not work with NetBSD. Its riddled with #ifdefs, and the code's pretty ugly the last time I checked. However, they do have new support for FreeBSD IIRC.
well, it does. I still have some problems with it (it requires USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN [actually
only the new gas version it provides]). you'll hear about it in my status mail to netbsd-users soon.

> However, win32codecs/avifile are a part of pkgsrc and should work
>
> I use apla on my NetBSD to watch the same movies I could on mplayer.
mplayer works much faster on my box.

--
/* Tomasz Luchowski <zuntum@netbsd.org> */