Subject: Re: MPEG 4 players
To: Emre Yildirim <emre@sgi.asper.org>
From: Kevin Sindhu <kevin@IPv6.x-y.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/13/2001 17:26:56
On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 02:16:26AM -0500, Emre Yildirim penned:
> On Monday 13 August 2001 00:58, Tomasz Luchowski wrote:

> I use mplayer (on linux though).  It works great; the guy even has a
> Win32codec.zip file on his website that has like 35+ codecs that you can
> download, in case you dont have a windoze box.  Mplayer has been working
> really well for me, there isn't a movie that I can't watch (except
> quicktime).  Unfortunately I couldn't try it on my NetBSD box yet, because it
> doesn't have X.  Someone should try or possibly make a package for it...

Mplayer does not work with NetBSD. Its riddled with #ifdefs, and the code's pretty ugly the last time I checked. However, they do have new support for FreeBSD IIRC.

However, win32codecs/avifile are a part of pkgsrc and should work

I use apla on my NetBSD to watch the same movies I could on mplayer.

-Kevin

Kevin Sindhu						Open-Systems Dot Org
				Kevin@
 {lucifer.at,x-y.ca,open-systems.org,trespassing.org,sabotaged.org,postfix.ca}