Subject: Re: Houston, anyone?
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/13/2001 16:37:16
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > I was thinking of something more localized by city.  Texas is a big place,
> > after all.  The ``Houston Users of BSD'' (HUB) works as a nice
> > acronym...(^&
>
> Texas is a big place, but most of the major cities (Austin, DFW,
> Houston, San Antonio) are fairly close to each other (~4 hours drive
> max). I think a state-wide list would be better, especially if NetBSD
> users are as rare as they seem to be :)

I suppose that it depends upon the scale that you grow up with.  I grew up
in Kansas City; going to Wichita or Coffeyville was a ``long drive''.

(It also depends upon whether there is any impetus to have some kind of
meeting or the like.  If there isn't such an interest, the point of a
regional mailing list is pretty limited.  If getting together for lunch,
or some such, is desired...4 hours is a long time to drive for lunch.
Probably even a Texan-born will admit to that.  (^&)

> BTW, I don't suppose there's any sort of NetBSD users registry, where
> one can fill in a ZIPcode or city or something, and find nearby
> NetBSDers? NetBSD developers have <http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/xearth/>
> which is pretty neat (although xearth's not too good with zooming in on
> small areas... the Generic Mapping Tools can make prettier maps. See
> http://www.azeotrope.org/~khym/ifpl/ for an example... inspired by the
> NetBSD developer maps :)

Hm, I'm not sure what IFPL is, but the map's interesting.  (^&

If someone has the means to set up such a NetBSD user database, and wants
to do so, I'll contribute my little bit by giving a name & zipcode...