Subject: Re: Houston, anyone?
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/11/2001 22:28:40
On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Richard Rauch wrote:
> I was thinking of something more localized by city.  Texas is a big place,
> after all.  The ``Houston Users of BSD'' (HUB) works as a nice
> acronym...(^&

Texas is a big place, but most of the major cities (Austin, DFW,
Houston, San Antonio) are fairly close to each other (~4 hours drive
max). I think a state-wide list would be better, especially if NetBSD
users are as rare as they seem to be :)

BTW, I don't suppose there's any sort of NetBSD users registry, where
one can fill in a ZIPcode or city or something, and find nearby
NetBSDers? NetBSD developers have <http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/xearth/>
which is pretty neat (although xearth's not too good with zooming in on
small areas... the Generic Mapping Tools can make prettier maps. See
http://www.azeotrope.org/~khym/ifpl/ for an example... inspired by the
NetBSD developer maps :)

Anyways, I'm in Austin... didn't know there was a netbsd-austin mailing
list though :) I remember seeing talk about starting regional mailing
lists, but must've missed the announcement about some actually getting
created :)
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 25 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++