Subject: Dell PowerEdge 1550 problems
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@williamlam.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/10/2001 18:47:41
I just recently purchased a Dell PowerEdge 1550 and tried to install
NetBSD-1.5.1 on it.  The INSTALL kernel won't properly attach the two
ahc devices corresponding to the on-board Adaptec AIC-7899 Ultra3 SCSI
adapters, and so it doesn't find any hard drives on which to install
NetBSD.  Checking through Google, I see stories of successful
installations with MS Windows 2000, RH Linux 7.1, and FreeBSD 4.3.
There was a brief reference to NetBSD-current being able to probe and
attach the SCSI adapters on the PowerEdge 1550, but I'm loath to
install NetBSD-current on what will be a production box as I don't
think the UBC code is ready for prime-time use yet.  Is there another
NetBSD option for me besides installing -current?  I guess I would go
with FreeBSD otherwise.

	Thanks,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@williamlam.com>
	   William Lam & Co., Inc.