Subject: Re: status of ftp.netbsd.org
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/09/2001 09:41:11
On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

: >220-
: >220 ftp.netbsd.org FTP server (NetBSD-ftpd 20010417) ready.

: Someone else had a similar problem a few weeks ago.  I had a similar
: problem several months ago.  My problem turned out to be a
: configuration issue on a Checkpoint firewall.  Here's what our network
: administrator said:

This doesn't work with all firewalls (because they don't all have the
configuration to get around this).  I've had problems with this in the past
when working for companies with Internet gestapo divisions....

The problem is the leading "220-" line on the FTP greeting, above.  This is
caused by the "ftpwelcome" file (see ftpd(8)), which is currently an
existing but empty file on ftp.netbsd.org.

Not all firewalls are capable of dealing with extension lines.  You can
prepend "-" to the username to omit them, but only if you get the login
prompt first (before any extension lines are sent).

I've Bcc:'d the NetBSD server admins on this; hopefully it will be fixed.
ADMINS:  Someone please remove the /etc/ftpwelcome file entirely from
ftp.netbsd.org.  Thanks.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/