Subject: Re: status of ftp.netbsd.org
To: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/08/2001 22:44:41
In message <5.0.2.1.0.20010808172210.00a23b40@pop.netzero.net>, Steven Grunza w
rites:
>Is the NetBSD server still alive?  I seem to keep getting disconnected
>without any error messages.
>
>hw-sbus# ftp ftp.netbsd.org
>Connected to ftp.netbsd.org.
>220-
>220 ftp.netbsd.org FTP server (NetBSD-ftpd 20010417) ready.
>Name (ftp.netbsd.org:grunza): ftp
>331 Guest login ok, type your name as password.
>Password:
>230-
>421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.
>ftp: Login failed.
>ftp: No control connection for command.

Someone else had a similar problem a few weeks ago.  I had a similar
problem several months ago.  My problem turned out to be a
configuration issue on a Checkpoint firewall.  Here's what our network
administrator said:

	Ok, if they are running Checkpoint FW-1, try comment out the following line in
	$FWDIR/lib/base.def and reinstall the policy:

	#define FTP_ENFORCE_NL

Let me know if it works.