Subject: Re: Code-red worm (snicker snicker...)
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@arkham.ws>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/02/2001 20:18:26
Hi !

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > and it will run on every platform, can modify /etc/inetd.conf, HUP it, and
> > voila, your shell on some port is open...
>
> you run your web server as root?  then you get what you deserve. :)

Ehm. nope... Due to i know about these little things, i even try at home to
keep my things safe. Usually, everything being available to the outside runs in
a sandbox here. So worst thing to happen (except kernel bugs) is a crash or
modification of the subsystem being hacked.
It will get more security, as soon as my webserver at home gets its own network
segment behind the firewall, and it will be a VAXstation 4000/90 running
NetBSD :)

...Michael

--
visit http://www.bsdfans.org/   Home network powered by: NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD
Solaris HP-UX IRIX AIX MUNIX Tru64 Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS