Subject: kernel compile, mlx and other stuff
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Emre Yildirim <emre@vsrc.uab.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/26/2001 18:53:48
Hi,

I fixed the compile problem by getting the -current kernel source tarball.  I compile
it andeverything seems to work fine.  The problem is (or is it?), I am running a 1.5X
kernel with1.5.1 userland.  The system hasn't crashed yet or anything but, I get weird outputs:

# netstat -m
266 mbufs in use:
257 mbufs allocated to data
9 mbufs allocated to packet headers
4294852542/4294950912 mapped pages in use
0 Kbytes allocated to network (0% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

One example.  Note the 4 billion 'mapped pages in use' that can't be right.  Also there
is no memory allocted to the network, even though I compile the kernel with
NMBCLUSTERS set to 32768.

So is this good or bad?  This machine has to run stable, because it get's under alot of
load, serving web, email and ftp (with 100MB+ files each).  Should I keep this kernel
or get the 1.5.1 kernel?

With this one I can make use of my 100GB RAID array (mlx), but if I go back to using
1.5.1 kernel sources, I get:

# config SOCRATES
SOCRATES:510: mlx*: unknown device `mlx'
SOCRATES:511: ld*: unknown device `ld'
*** Stop.

And I have to use RAID.  I looked for mlx patches on the FTP but couldn't find any.  I
could recompile the whole system from scratch, but I know from experience that it
would probably fail, because I never got NetBSD to compile from scratch.

So what would be the best solution to this?

Thanks for any help/pointers.