Subject: Re: CPAN
To: Emre Yildirim <emre@vsrc.uab.edu>
From: Ron Roskens <roskens@elfin.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/22/2001 22:45:35
I use pkgsrc/net/mirror to have a local mirror CPAN site. This
partition is NFS exported to my local machines, and also
available via ftp & http.

I've added
MASTER_SITE_PERL_CPAN=ftp://ftp/pub/CPAN/modules/by-module/
to /etc/mk.conf so I download the modules from my local mirror
rather than over the internet.

You'll just need to configure CPAN on each machine and add your
local CPAN mirror to the 'urllist' entry. If you install LWP,
then you can use "file://localhost/path/to/CPAN/" where
/path/to/CPAN/ is a mount of the CPAN tree.

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:52:17 -0500 (CDT) Emre Yildirim
<emre@vsrc.uab.edu> wrote:

> > Hmm. Wouldn't you get into all sorts of problems? "All" CPAN modules would seem to
> > be impossible, given that some may conflict with each other in obscure ways, and
> > some may be tied to particular architectures and/or depend on other software.
>

> Probably, I really just need the ones that are the most current ones (i.e. there
> severalversions of one module)
>

> > However, given that the CPAN module is scriptable (in Perl ;-) a possible solution
> > would be to look hard at the docs, and write a suitable script to build and
> > install everything. You might want to do this with a local mirror of the CPAN
> > files, perhaps from a CD. Asking in the Perl community might get you further,
> > perhaps someone already has a script for doing this, or at least something
> > similar.
>

> I should do that, I just thought there was some easy and very obvious way to do it.
> Guess not.
>
> > I must confess I am quite curious: what do you _need_ ALL those modules for?
>
> I have a couple of people that want to do advanced perl development, and I really don't
> want to install a module one by one (or have them install them for that matter).  I
> haveabout 200GB space available on a fast 1.4Ghz Athlon box, and a dedicated 100bT link to
> the internet, so resources would not be a problem.  So I thought I'd just install the
> wholearchive.
>
> Thanks for the help, I'm going to read up on someman pages now.

Elfin.
roskens@elfin.net